The very high-voltage supply, the 3200V power supply circuit shown in in the following circuit diagram is rated at 3200 V at a continuous output current of 1.2 A, and an intermittent peak current of 2 A for supplying power to a 1-kW amplifier of a transmitter. The power supply also has a 12 V, 1 A output used to power the control circuitry in a transmitter.
A simple, effective step/start circuit is incorporated to ensure that the rectifier diodes are not over stressed by the heavy surge current into the output capacitor when the power supply is first turned on. A 5 kV meter is used to monitor high-voltage output. However, it is important to exercise extreme caution when working with such high-voltage power supplies.
Circuit Diagram of 3200V Power Supply Circuit
This project can be designed using a few basic components. The circuit diagram of this project is shown below.
More Circuit Layouts
Components List of 3200V Power Supply Circuit
Following is the list of all components used in this project:
- D1 – D4 … Strings of 5 each, 1000-PIV, 3-A diodes, 1N5408 or equivalent. Commercial assemblies are also suitable.
- K1 K2 ….. DPST Relay, 230-V a.c. coil, 20-A contacts. SPDT miniature relay, 12-V d.c. coil.
- M1 …….. High voltage meter, 5 kV d.c. full scale
- MOT1 …. Cooling fan
- T1 ……… 2N2222A or equivalent
- T2 …….. MPF102 or equivalent
- CB1 ….. Magnetic circuit breaker
- X1 ……. High voltage power transformer, 230-V primary, 2250-V, 1.2-A secondary
- X2 ……. Power transformer, 240-V primary, 16-V, 1-A secondary
Working Explanation of 3200V Power Supply Circuit Operation
When the front panel magnetic circuit breaker is turned on, two 25-ohms resistors in the primary circuit limit inrush current as the filter capacitor charges. After two seconds, step-start relay K1 activates, shorting both resistors and allowing the full line voltage to be applied to the transformer.
As with all high-voltage power supplies, be extremely careful! Before opening the cabinet, remove the a.c.-line plug from the receptacle, and confirm that the filter capacitors are discharged before working on the supply.
Conclusion of 3200V Power Supply Circuit
In conclusion, the 3200V power supply circuit diagram presented here offers an efficient solution for supplying power to a 1kW amplifier in a transmitter. The inclusion of a step/start circuit ensures that the rectifier diodes are not subjected to excessive surge currents during power-on. Additionally, the 5kV meter provides a means to monitor the high-voltage output. It is crucial to exercise extreme caution when working on this power supply, taking necessary precautions such as disconnecting the a.c.-line plug and discharging the filter capacitors before opening the cabinet. With these considerations in mind, this power supply circuit diagram can provide reliable and safe operation for high-voltage applications.
More projects, You may like:
- Video Transmitter DIY Homemade FM Radio Transmitter
- Adjustable Power Supply DIY Battery Charger
- 12V-220V 500 Watt inverter DIY Homemade
- 12V-220V H-Bridge Inverter DIY Homemade
- MPPT Solar Charge Controller DIY Homemade
- 18650 battery bank free charge protection module
- D718 B688 Bass Amplifier Homemade DIY
- C5200 Bass Amplifier DIY Homemade with Volume
- DIY LA4440 bass amplifier homemade
- C5200 A1943 TDA2030 Amplifier DIY Homemade
For more project and circuit diagrams, you can go through the Schematics in the main menu where you can find many interesting projects and circuit diagrams like audio amplifier circuits, voltage booster circuit, battery charger circuit and timer circuits etc., which are all beginner circuit projects. Feel free to check them out!
Thank you for visiting the article.